Ebenezer Russell Family; Russell Register, Pub. by Frances Russell Nelson, V. 3, No. 3, P. 353 THE EBENEZER RUSSELL FAMILY By Mrs. Mary J. Russell [Extract from "History and Reminiscences from the Records of the Old Settlers Reunion of Princeville and Vicinity," Vol. 4, Aug. 1929] Submitted by: Orville R. Russell, 12414., Starlight Lane, Bowie, MD 20715 Ebenezer Russell was the son of Thomas and Mary Russell of Beaver County, Penn. He was the eighth of a family of twelve children, and was born in Little Beaver Township, Lawrence Co., Penn. on November 13, 1811. At the age of eighteen he im­migrated with his brother James to Fredericksburg, Ohio, where he went to work at blacksmithing. In 1834 he was married to Edith, daughter of Conrad and Sarah Emery of Holmes Co., Ohio. In 1837 he moved with his family to a farm where he lived un­til the fall of 1840 when they came to Stark County and Spent the winter with his father-in-law. This long journey was made in a covered wagon drawn by a team of horses. When they left Ohio Mrs. Russell was unable to set up all day and could not get in and out of the wagon alone, but before they got through she improved so fast that she was able to walk two miles. Mr. Russell's sister came with them and she had a pony tied behind the wagon. Often when Mrs. Belle Palmer, then a child of six years got tired of riding in the wagon she was allowed to ride the pony. They thought the old family dog was left in Ohio but somewhere in Indiana the dog caught up with them. They were so glad to see him that he was brought on to Illinois. They were about one month making the trip. When they got to Stark County they possessed a team, wagon, four children and five dollars in money. Mrs. Russell did not like the prairies of Stark County though all of her folks were there. She would not consent to Mr. Russell selling the team and wagon, but wanted to go back to Ohio again. After looking around for a location he heard of Princeville and that there was no blacksmith here. The opening looked good to him and as an inducement, Mr. Stevens gave him a lot where the Lincoln highway filling station is now on east of the hotel. When Mrs. Russell get as far as the hill out by the cemetery and saw the young trees and then came on further and saw the south, she at once said, "Yes, I can live here." The trees were so small that deer could plainly be seen running around anywhere. When they moved down it was evening time. They went to the home of Mr. Stevens. He then lived where Mr. Edward Auten, Sr. lives now. They were welcomed in a real pioneer way. The family came out to the wagon and invited them in to stay all night. The next day they moved to a cabin that stood near where the Misses Edwards now own until a cabin and shop could be built. They started to build a house where the M.E. parsonage now stands, but Mrs. Russell decided that town was no place to raise boys, so a carpenter who had just come from the east said that if they would furnish men and horses he would take down the house and put it up again for five dollars. And it was moved two miles east of town and family settled there on the eighty acre farm which they owned up until their death. It was known as the Russell homestead and is now owned by Mat McDermott. Mr. Russell worked at his trade for a long time. His shop was close to the four comers. One night when Mrs. Russell was caring for her sick child, she accidentally put the lard lamp in the window. After a while, away in the night, a man who was lost in the prairies was guided to their home. After that it was kept burning in the window a long time. They had their religion and politics, and later on the spelling and singing schools, apple and pumpkin paring bees and the all day visits. On one occasion all the men, all but Dr. Cutter went to Peoria to a political meeting. The women saw them off and decided the day would be lonely and long. Why couldn't they celebrate as it was the 4th of July? So Dr. Cutter said he would build a bower of twigs and limbs so they would be in the shade. While the women fixed things for dinner, Mrs. Russell made and fried one bushel of donuts for her part of the dinner. Mrs. Belle Palmer and Jane Slane started out in a home-made wagon to the home of Mrs. Coburn, Mrs. May Dusten's mother, to bring her and the children to the celebration. They all enjoyed the day very much. When Mr. Russell moved to the farm there were only three or four families in the two miles. Many were the hardships they endured. There is passing now in my thought a beautiful panarama scene replete with memories of their early life and mature years. Once more in their strength and vigor they are neighbors and friends sharing the pleasures, hardships and perils incident to the frontier life. To­gether they toiled and worked and planned while the wilderness and solitary places quickly changed into a busy fruitful garden of civilization. Mr. and Mrs. Russell were active members of the Princeville Methodist church for more than 55 years. Their hands and prayers and thoughts intermingled with others in shaping the future of this community and in strengthening in form and fiber its social and religious life. In the early day before the railroads came wild animals and Indians were oc­casionally seen upon the fenceless prairies, and long journeys by wagon and horse­back were necessary to reach the market places. They were among the early pioneers of Peoria County; members of that courteous. God fearing band that leveled the forests, broke the virgin prairie and laid the foundation for the unmeasured pros­perity that has since come to the great middle west. Mr. and Mrs., Russell were the parents of thirteen children, five of them died early in life. The ones that married and settled here, first Isabella who married Wilson Palmer. They lived for a while in Missouri and then came back to Prince­ville. Her character in religious matters was a shining example. She died June 18, 1908. Mrs. Palmer had three children: Russell Elsworth, Eva, who died in in­fancy and Jane Arabelle, Mrs. Palmer, in her early days, taught school. Mary E. was married to James Peters and moved to a farm near Menlo, Iowa, where they lived until death claimed them. There were five children born to this couple. One of the boys lived on and now owns the old homestead in Iowa. Mrs. Peters taught school before her marriage. Conrad Emery married Matilda McMillin. After a few years of farming on one of his father's farms the couple moved to a farm near Menlo, Iowa and just across the road from his sister, Mary. Like the pioneers of Illinois, these people struggled and together with their neighbors, helped to make Iowa what it is today. To this union six children were born, and one of the daughters lives on a homestead. Jane married John McGinnis and lived awhile on their farm near Princeville and finally moved to Peoria where they made their home as long as they lived. There were no children born to this union. Mrs. McGinnis was a kind good neighbor and made many friends. Almina married John Giles. After a few years of farming near Princeville, they bought land near Gilman, Illinois and moved there. Mrs. Giles is still liv­ing. Her delight is to be active in Christian work, building for eternity. Many kindnesses and caring for the sick are acredited to her. She was always looking on the bright side of everything. These people have four children. Clara married Philip Nelson. To this union for children were born. They lived on a farm for a number of years near Monica, Illinois, finally moving to Princeville. After a few happy busy years Mrs. Nelson passed away leaving her husband and four young child­ren, and sad was the home without the loving wife and mother. My memory goes back to a visit in Iowa where she had visited and where she sang a solo in the church. The minister years afterwards commented on it and said he would never forget the song nor the singer. Joseph married Mary Jane Squire and moved to a farm until his father's death when they bought a farm near Winterset, Iowa and lived there until Mr. Russell's health began to fail. Then they returned to Princeville, the home of the Russells, where he passed away during the last year of the World War in 1918. Melvin married Mary Moffitt and went to Iowa to live near Sac City. He farmed there for a year, when he sold out and moved to a farm near Stuart, lowas, partly to be near his brother and sister. They have one daughter. Mell was a kind.neigh­bor, ready to help at any time. He died rather suddenly while visiting his nephew in Peoria after attending his brother-in- law's funeral in Gilman, Illinois.